Early Morning Procrastination
I fell asleep on the lounge yesterday and woke at 5.55am. The dilemma I face whenever this happens is whether or not to crawl up to be bed for a couple of extra hours snooze time or to grab the camera and go take some photo’s. You can see by this post that obviously the camera won but I confess it took me a good 30 minutes to make up my mind.
This was the conversation that ran through my head early yesterday morning:
- 5.55am – (yawn) “What the hell…what day is it, where am I? Oh, the lounge. Dang.”
- 6.00am – “Umm, I suppose I could go take some photo’s. How many clouds are there??”
- 6.05am – Open door, look outside. Very dark still. Looks like there’s some light cloud smudges. Doesn’t look brilliant. Check phone. Sunrise is 6.38am. High tide 5am. Hmmm. Not ideal for taking photo’s of tidal pools… Walk in circles. Wonder where I could go that wouldn’t take too long that was both easy and pretty. Balmoral? Nup, 15 minutes and it’s orientated the wrong way for sunrise. Kirribilli? Next to and under the Harbour Bridge? Waste of time if the sunrise isn’t spectacular enough. Bradley’s Point, nup, too far, will take too long. Bronte or Bondi? High tide – not great. Dunno…
- 6.15am – Look outside again. Clouds look lacy and a bit more promising then they were when it was too dark. Hmmm. Actually, could be a nice display for sunrise. Start to look for my camera bag, filter and remote shutter release.
- 6.20am – Open back door and look up drive-way. Crap, those clouds look really nice and they’re starting to turn a golden hue. Oh oh. “Maybe, I should just go to bed – I’ll take 20 minutes before I drive to the beach, set up and press the shutter button. You’ve missed sunrise, you twit. May as well go to bed for a bit now.”
- 6.22am – “It’s the last day of summer! Why don’t you just go for a swim?! The water’s still warm (22C/72F) and you could still enjoy watching the sunrise and early morning poolside activity! Just take the camera and grab some incidental shots – the people, the scenes. Besides, its a good opportunity to push yourself creatively now; think photojournalism, street photography. You’ve missed sunrise anyway.”
- 6.25am – Jump in car and drive off. Witness a glorious sunrise that shifts from gold, to amber, to red and back again. Kick myself silently as I drive to Bronte. Procrastination is a bitch.
Canon 5DMkIII | EF 24-70L f2.8 | EF 50L f1.2 | Post: Lightroom 5
If you prefer to see the photo’s in the gallery viewer click on one of the images again below.
Hope you had a great weekend in your neck of the woods.