In just two short days, we’ll all be boarding a plane and heading off for our first overseas family holiday! In fact, my wife and I haven’t been overseas for 17 years – kids, mortgages and renovations do that to you. Truth be told, it’s been quite a rush to get organised but we’re almost there now. In deciding on our destination we’ve traversed the globe – Vietnam, Japan, New Zealand and Europe of course, had all been on the short list. The winner for our tourist dollar though is the USA and Canada. The rationale behind all this is too long to go into suffice to say, the boys felt more comfortable with an english speaking destination which had kid-palatable food. Anyway, it’ll be a good test for us all.
Itinerary wise, this is where we’ll be going:
Sydney to the West Coast of the USA
- Three days in San Francisco before hiring a car and driving out to explore Yosemite for a further 2-3 days.
- After heading back to the coast, we’ll take a couple of days to drive down the Pacific Coast Road. Looking forward to seeing Big-Sur and the California coastline. With any luck, the children will have behaved themselves enough for us to visit Universal Studio’s or Six Flags Magic Mountain ;-). I really don’t want to drive in LA, so we’ll avoid it until the last moment.
Los Angeles to New York
- After jumping a flight, we’ll be off to New York where we’ll stay in Manhattan for 8 day’s.
- Lot’s of walking, various side trips and marvelling at one of the worlds busiest cities.
New York to Calgary
- I only organsied this in the past week but I’m so glad I did. We’ll fly from New York to Calgary where we’ll pick up a car and drive out to Banff!!!!! It’s only going to be a short 3 day stay here but it would of killed me if we’d been in Canada and I never got up there.
- Drive down through Yoko National Park travelling south west into the Okanagan Valley. I’ve booked a little Bed and Breakfast for the night in Kelowna. I ‘m so looking forward to seeing vineyards surrounded by glacial lakes…
- Arrive in Vancouver for the final 3-4 days of our trip. Depending on how tired we are, we might try and do a couple of side trips like head up towards Whistler but to be honest I think we’ll be pretty sick of moving around. I’m sure we’ll enjoy exploring Vancouver by foot.
Anyway, that’s how it stands at the minute – 42 hours prior to departure. What do you guys think?
If anyone has any tips and suggestions for any of these destinations then please, please, please leave them in the comments. I’ll be taking an 11′ Macbook Air that I bought off eBay so I’m hoping I will be able to do some updates (and post photos) while we’re away when we have wi-fi access. Well, that’s the plan anyway…